55983Re: Martha Jane on Ebay

  • graeme19121984
    Nov 3, 2007
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proto957" <helio6@...> wrote:
      > Do the water ballast
      > tanks take up sole height? I had assumed the tanks would be on the
      > sides, and the sole would be the boat bottom. I looked through many
      > Martha Jane sites on the web, but could not find an answer to this.

      The tanks don't take up sole height. As I understand the layout
      there is a tank under each side bunk for part of the length of about
      4 cubic feet volume each.

      One Bolger design mod calls for an additional 500lbs of steel
      ballast, but I understand this is a plate attached outside, under
      the bottom.

      In some much earlier postings here some builders said they put bags
      of sand etc in the tanks instead of water, so this boat isn't the
      only one to have removable tops fitted to the water ballast tanks.

      Graeme
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic