55799RE: [bolger] Re: Building a Long Dory

  • Kristine Bennett
    Oct 5, 2007
      Don the paint is only as good as what it's being put on. Seeing how wood is soft and flexible, the paint is going to crack and let water in the wood.

      I have a canopy for my truck that I sheathed with glass and epoxy on the front and top, and no spiders cracks. But on the sides I use Nexis cloth and epoxy and any place the side has been thumped there are spider cracks. I have had to patch a couple of places where the door skin had come apart. The Nexis cloth and epoxy are just over a 1/32nd of an inch. So I'll bet the epoxy paint will crack in time as well.

      I helped a friend glass the inside of his hull panels for the hull bottom before they went on the hull. As I remember we used 7781 and it gave a nice flat surface to glue to. He was happy with the boat after 10 years of hard use.

      Blessings Krissie

      Don Froese <don.froese@...> wrote: Thanks for the suggestion Krissie. I plan to coat the inside with a
      2-part industrial epoxy paint. That stuff is very tough.

      Cheers,

      Don