55780Re: Building a Long Dory

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Oct 3, 2007
      Hi Bruce,

      > And 'the looks' I like about the stretched light dory is the
      > exaggerated 'fan tail', which I don't think is just an affectation.
      > That fan tail would be beneficial, I figure, navigating the surf
      where
      > I live.
      >
      > http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1476751709&size=o
      >
      > This URL Shows my 'mind's eye' interpretation of the shape of a Long
      > Dory with the fan tail pulled out some more. The panel layout of the
      > sides fits nicely on 2 and 1/2 sheets of 1/4" plywood and the bottom
      > cuts from a 12' x 2' piece of 1/2" plywood. If you were careful, I
      > bet this 19ft 10in hull could weight less than 100 lbs.

      Nicely done as usual. I'll wager that the original will be slightly
      faster than your rendering, thanks to the slightly longer waterline
      length, but I like the looks of your version, too.

      The bottom can be had from one sheet of 1/2" ply by laying out half of
      the bottom from each end of the sheet, offsetting the centerline of
      each piece by about 2'. Payson shows one way to do this in his book,
      offsetting the two halves diagonally, but it's easier to use the
      factory edges for the butt joint.

      If you make the seat bearers removable, or eliminate them altogether
      and sit on a box, and use lightweight wood for the gunwales, I don't
      doubt you can keep the weight under 100 lbs. I should probably weigh
      mine sometime, but it's certainly no trouble to row solo, as I have
      put up to ten non-stop miles under her a few times.

      It's good to see this design getting some interest thanks to Payson's
      book. I'll just add that if you make the gunwales two courses of 3/4"
      x 1-1/2" material as called for in the plans (perhaps without the
      fancy shaping and bronze half oval called for), the hull is so stiff
      that you can make the seat bearers removable, which has some
      advantages. For example, I was able to make a second set that only
      use the forward half of the hull, leaving the after half of the
      boat "open" for my dog to spread out. Payson shows the seat bearers
      as permanent structure and used only one strip of material for the
      gunwales. He also put the oarlocks on the inside of the hull, which
      will almost surely result in cross-handed rowing with 7' oars from all
      seating positions.

      Jon Kolb