55753Re: Bolger Micro

  • graeme19121984
    Oct 1, 2007
      Bill's LM: $9000 / 1500lbs, empty = $6/lb

      Bruce's Micro: $1400 / 875lbs, empty = $1.60/lb

      Bill's LM: $9000 / 2400lbs, displacement = $3.75/lb

      Bruce's Micro: $1400 / 1650lbs, displacement = $0.85/lb

      About a 4x leeway factor for cost there.

      I'm sure that these boats have been built for less and for more
      depending on builder preferences. My example of a Micro was a quick
      rough basic build, though of good materials I think, by a guy who
      knocked out about six for family and friends in just a few years in
      the early 90's. It is kept on a trailer, not sheathed in frp except
      for some taped seams, has original house paint, and has one small
      patch of rot in the topsides near the bow which used to protrude
      from the garage of a former owner for some years - dry, covered
      storage has markedly extended the life of this boat. If it had been
      better built and sheathed, who knows, left on a mooring for the same
      time it may have stood up just as well.

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:
      time.
      > 4. How much you spend depends greatly upon your materials. AC
      > plywood, or marine ply, or MDO? Epoxy (and if yes, which brand?)?
      > Hardware? Paint (porch paint, latex, or something expensive?). I
      > spent close to $9,000 building my Long Micro, including marine ply,
      > epoxy, buying my sails (from Dabbler Sails), a new 6 hp outboard,
      > electronics, etc. This price does not include a trailer- I got a
      > used, flat-bed utility trailer for hauling duties.

      > On 9/30/07, endsley_t <endsley_t@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Bolgerites. My questions concern the Micro.
      > > 1) What are the plan costs?
      >
      > > 4) Per plan, What is the estimated total construction cost
      (including
      > > new sails, new 5 h.p. 4-stroke marine outboard, and a new
      aluminum
      > > trailer)?
      >
      > Again, huge variability. With lots of scrounging and improvised
      > parts, I spent about $1,400 on the boat. Again, I bet that most
      > Micro's have been built for closer to 10x that price. Yet, a
      cheaply
      > built boat can be serviceable if not immortal.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic