55415Re:Cartopper review

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Sep 5, 2007
      I have built and sailed, rowed and puttered around with a small outboard and
      I was quite happy with the design. (In fact building another one right now.)

      Forget about those hooks for looping the sheet. I think they were added for
      the optional sail plan. What I did with mine was to add a block to the clew at
      the end of the spirit boom. Added a rope horse across the transom. The main
      sheet had a clip that hooked to the horse; up to the block then to an eye
      bolt on top of the tiller where it is hinged to the rudder, this allowed me to
      hold the sheet with the same hand as on the tiller. Since the skipper is
      sitting on the bottom of the boat I added a rope across the hull from side to
      side to grab and pull myself to the windward side when tacking. The seat is
      used only for rowing and is loose to slide around on the floor boards to adjust
      for the rowing position. The plans show two sets of "foot braces" one set
      when rowing solo and the other set when loaded with a passenger..
      I have been dumped into the drink, but my own fault since I was sitting on
      the sheet and could not let it fly when the wind came over the other quarter
      (sailing on a lake where the wind goes funny directions through the hills
      surrounding the lake.) When I sailed with a passenger they usually sat opposite
      me and slightly towards the stern while I sat as close to the CB trunk as I
      could without bumping into it when changing from one tack to the other.
      Sure not the most comfortable boat to either sail or row, but light enough
      to carry on the luggage rack on my car, even can load it from a curb to the top
      of a Jeep Cherokee (would not like to try to put it on top of a Ford
      Explorer!) Loads up on our Toyota Rav4 with little work and rides fine up there.

      I don't see how you could sit high enough to be hit by a block at the end of
      the spirit boom as the boom is well above your head in normal seating on the
      bottom of the boat (I had a life float I sat on to spare my rear end from the
      wood)

      The only real problem I has was that it was really difficult to see to the
      lee side through that sail; almost had some collisions tacking back to my site
      down a channel lined with yachts.

      Bolger, Payson Car topper
      14-9 foot Swifty
      John Meacham