55061Re: [bolger] Re: Big Dig epoxy

    Aug 10, 2007
      > For joints in compression, no adhesive is needed.

      The tricky thing is that boats move and flex, so that most joints
      cycle between compression and tension. Simplistically, I believe that
      is why joints, like the standard 'taped' seam joint of a tack and tape
      plywood panel need to be taped both sides. That way, one side is
      acting in compression (or shear) all the time and you never rely
      solely on tensile strength. I think, also, that the weakness of epoxy
      in a tension joint is why George Buehler (and some other
      conservatives) insist that all joints have mechanical fasteners like
      bolts or nails.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic