54450Re: [bolger] Re: delamination of resin and plywood

  • Dennis Mingear
    Jun 25, 2007
      Thanks Dennis, the Micro is cool, no doubt.

      Is there anything in the 14 to 18 foot range that uses plywood construction that could be used for that kind of sailing?

      A 16 foot sailboat would be about perfect, anything that you might recomend, that size, that would work in that kind of water?

      Denny ...

      lancasterdennis <dlancast@...> wrote:
      -
      Lets not forget the Micro. However, I would not consider the Micro
      to be a bluewater boat and if you are talking about making the
      Farallons...

      Dennis
      Bellingham, WA

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "derbyrm" <derbyrm@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure several others on the list will chime in. There is
      a "Motor Sailer" variation of the Chebacco that was built for SF Bay
      and the Cruising Conversion would help keep the cold breezes away.
      http://www.chebacco.com/

      > The classic boat for that bay is the Pelican, but it's not a Bolger
      design, and the 12' version is not what one would call a pocket
      cruiser. That said, until you have some sailing experience, there is
      nothing more valuable than getting in with a fleet of similar boats.
      http://community-
      2.webtv.net/PelicanSailboat/SFPELICANSAILBOATS/index.html

      > Roger
      > derbyrm@...
      > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      I'm sure. I only mentioned it because they have some limited but
      concise information on fillers and so on.

      > The alcohol dilution would only be used to fill the fiberglass
      cloth weave. I agree with you in that it would not be appropriate for
      anything else.

      > I've spent a lot of time looking at pocket cruiser plans. I live
      in the San Franisco Bay Area and I'm looking for a small plans built
      sailboat that I could use to sail the Bay and cruise the coastal
      waters of California including the Farallons.

      > I know that boats like this are very personal but I'll venture a
      question anyway.

      > Do you have any comments for a small sailboat suitable for this
      kind of work - uh ... fun?

      > I've looked at several but I don't know enough about any of them
      to make an informed descision.

      > Thanks for any comments you may provide.
      >
      > Denny ...
      >
      > derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
      > Thank you Dennis. I prefer undiluted epoxy for filling since its
      strength is important to the fiberglass/epoxy composite.
      Microballoons have the lowest rating for strength of the many fillers.

      > You'll see phenolic microballons used on my centerboard at
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/CBdetail.html I'll be coating it
      with graphite filled epoxy soon to make it more slippery and less
      likely to jam in the case.

      > I've been a happy customer of Aircraft Spruce for several
      decades. Good stuff, good service, VERY high prices.

      > Roger
      > derbyrm@...
      > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      use it as a filler for the weave of the cloth that you used on the
      plywood. You can also include some alcohol in the filler mix and make
      a very dry micro-mix that is very much easier to sand than just resin
      and micro balloons alone.

      > The aircraft people first fill the weave with a micro slurry and
      then after sanding, fill the remaining or resulting pin holes with
      various spray-on fillers with UV inhibitors.

      > Lots of info on these procedures in the homebuilt aircraft world
      and websites.

      > So depending on the mix, it can be used for fairing and filling.
      >
      > Denny ...
      >
      > derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
      > As I understand it, microballoons, whether phenolic or glass, are
      for fairing. Once the surface is the right shape, you still need a
      primer to fill those broken baubles and get ready for your final coat
      of paint.

      > Roger
      > derbyrm@...
      > http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      good info on various types of cloth. It's an homebuilt aircraft site,
      so saving weight and construction time are important to them.

      > Micro balloons and epoxy can make a very nice light weight
      filler, but sanding it down to a mirror like finish will still be a
      challenge.