      From: Dennis Mingear
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 1:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: delamination of resin and plywood

      It is a great place, the aviation bent makes for higher prices I'm sure. I only mentioned it because they have some limited but concise information on fillers and so on.

      The alcohol dilution would only be used to fill the fiberglass cloth weave. I agree with you in that it would not be appropriate for anything else.

      I've spent a lot of time looking at pocket cruiser plans. I live in the San Franisco Bay Area and I'm looking for a small plans built sailboat that I could use to sail the Bay and cruise the coastal waters of California including the Farallons.

      I know that boats like this are very personal but I'll venture a question anyway.

      Do you have any comments for a small sailboat suitable for this kind of work - uh ... fun?

      I've looked at several but I don't know enough about any of them to make an informed descision.

      Thanks for any comments you may provide.

      Denny ...

      derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
      Thank you Dennis. I prefer undiluted epoxy for filling since its strength is important to the fiberglass/epoxy composite. Microballoons have the lowest rating for strength of the many fillers.

      You'll see phenolic microballons used on my centerboard at http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/CBdetail.html I'll be coating it with graphite filled epoxy soon to make it more slippery and less likely to jam in the case.

      I've been a happy customer of Aircraft Spruce for several decades. Good stuff, good service, VERY high prices.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm