      From: Dennis Mingear
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 10:04 AM
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: delamination of resin and plywood

      Yes, but, depending on the ratio of resin to filler you can also use it as a filler for the weave of the cloth that you used on the plywood. You can also include some alcohol in the filler mix and make a very dry micro-mix that is very much easier to sand than just resin and micro balloons alone.

      The aircraft people first fill the weave with a micro slurry and then after sanding, fill the remaining or resulting pin holes with various spray-on fillers with UV inhibitors.

      Lots of info on these procedures in the homebuilt aircraft world and websites.

      So depending on the mix, it can be used for fairing and filling.

      Denny ...

      derbyrm <derbyrm@...> wrote:
      As I understand it, microballoons, whether phenolic or glass, are for fairing. Once the surface is the right shape, you still need a primer to fill those broken baubles and get ready for your final coat of paint.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm