54434Re: [bolger] delamination of resin and plywood

  • Kristine Bennett
    Jun 24 8:38 PM
      Just resin is not the answer you need to glass cloth
      to add bulk for the resin harden in also the cloth
      helps in adding to the over all strenth of the hulls
      as well.

      Epoxy is the best to use and as for your glass cloth
      look at your industral styles I like the 7781 for the
      simple reason it's a satin finsh to the cloth so you
      get a smoother finsh from the cloth then "boat cloth".
      You are going to spend a bit more for your cloth BUT
      it will save you hours in sanding time and epoxy to
      fill the boat cloth.

      I know they make a number of lighter weights of the
      same style cloth but I can't remember the numbers but
      if you look at www.fiberglasssupply.com I think is the
      site they will have it listed.

      Yep you will need to clean up the hulls to bright wood
      and start all over. I'm sure you didn't want to hear
      that.

      Also make sure your hulls are sealed so no water can
      get into them no matter where it comes from. That will
      give your hulls the best chance to see a long and
      usefull life.

      Blessings Krissie

      --- mark <planzman@...> wrote:

      > What do I do now?
      >
      > I built two wooden hulls for a pontoon boat (not
      > bolger) and moved the
      > completed boat out side and then we got some rain
      > which got into the
      > hulls and now the resin is coming off the ply wood.
      > I took the two
      > pontoons back off the deck and using a chisel I am
      > able to remove both
      > the paint and the resin dollar bill size chunks.
      >
      > I did not use glass! only resin. Should I clean up
      > the wood, and glass
      > and resin again and make sure the top is water tight
      > before I remount
      > the hulls.
      >
      > What type resin is best, epoxy, poly-u ? What
      > weight glass, woven,
      > biderectional?
      >

      > thanks

      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/