53965Re: Micro Tabernacle

  • robert181605
    Jun 1, 2007
      Thanks Bruce, John,
      Sorry I didn't search before postings but is helps anyway, the latest
      mod to the bow to stop wave slap and with the tabernacle I will check
      out if pictures can be sent I'd appreciate it, could just put the
      tabernacle where the mast is in the Micro drawings. The reason for
      asking is mostly safety I have slight balance problems and would like
      the option if building so I can use canals without assistance and ease
      of fixing something up top in rouch weather.

      Yes please pictures would be great.

      Bob

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mannthree" <johnmann@...> wrote:

      > Bruce,
      >
      > I never found stepping the Nicro mast a trivial exercise. From
      > memory, my mast weighed about 35lbs and at 23 feet, it was a tricky
      > manouvre to get it into or out of the slot, especially with a wet
      > deck. I think that if you are a keen sailor and want to sail every
      > weekend, and you store the boat at home, then the tabernacle is almost
      > essential. It is not a problem for me now because my mast is only 17
      > feet long and I keep my boat on a swing mooring. I had a tabernacle,
      > but it fractured because I used (bad advice) unsuitable wood but I
      > found it extremely helpful when getting the boat into and out of the
      > water. I would be interested to hear any comments from you in making
      > the mast lighter to aid stepping and unstepping,
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John Mann
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 5/31/07, robert181605 <fuzzwurzle@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi am building a Micro, the LM is too much, does anyone know of
      > > > drawings or pictures of a Micro with mainmast in a tabernacle? Or
      > > > suggestions?
      > > >
      > > > Bob
      > >
      > > I own the Chinese Gaff Navigator type of Micro, and I do not feel any
      > > need for a tabernacle. Stepping the mast is easy and handy, due to
      > > the ability to stand on top of the cabin (at the balance point of the
      > > mast) to insert the mast into the mast step. Easy. The hard thing is
      > > keeping the vertical lines and halyards untangled (while they droop on
      > > the horizontal). That problem would be identical with a tabernacle or
      > > not.
      > >
      > > If I was building the standard sprit rig cuddy type of Micro, I most
      > > certainly would avoid all things that increased the complexity. The
      > > beauty of that design is the elegant simplicity. Don't ruin the
      > > simplicity. Do you need to pass under a low bridge very often? Even
      > > if yes, consider that the mast can be potentially light enough to step
      > > and unstep conventionally, taking just moderate+ strength.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic