53711Re: Sprit rig

  • danoyes1
    May 8, 2007
      Hi steve
      the sunny is a lateen rig, similar to a sprit in simplicity.
      stopper knots are great for a sprit rig, I've seen sprits with holes
      and notches and loops, really depends on the design. at the top of the
      sprit pole I use a beefy nail driven into a generous hole in the end
      grain of the spar, just loop the sail over it, raise the sprit and off
      you go!
      for photos of a sprit I threw together from 4x4, 2x2 and an old blown
      out jib go to the Schooner Dory portion of my website at

      Daniel N.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steven DAntonio" <sdantonio93@...>
      > Does anyone have any good closeup pictures of a sprit rig, especially
      > the ends of the sprit boom (ropes and knots for the snotter and the
      > other end), and the binding for the sprit to the mast. Dynamite's
      > descriptions are great if you already know what your doing. But
      > having not seen a sprit rigged boat (like a sunfish) since boyscout
      > camp (somewhere back if the late 1960's) I sort of forget the
      > Also just bought a copy of the "sailmakers apprentice", that might
      > tell me a some of what I need to know.
      > Thanks,
      > Steven
      > You could either start a folder or send them directoy to me
      > sdantonio93@...
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic