53667Re: Looking for the right boat

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    May 1, 2007
      Hi Ben,

      > I'm new to the group but I've been sailing for a number of years.
      > I'm looking for that "perfect" boat just like many others. I was
      > hoping that some of you familiar with Bolgers designs (so many!)
      > might be able to help. Here's what I'm looking for,
      >
      > around 20 feet
      > round bilge type
      > square stern and plumb bow
      > gaff cutter (and of course the topsail)
      > comfortable for two - of course deck space is more important than
      cabin space
      > small inboard diesel
      > really like the lapstrake look, clinker or ply
      > offshore capable - she will divide her time between the
      Greatlakes region and the Caribbean
      > trailerable - displacement doesn't bother me, I have the vehicle
      and experience to move heavy loads

      The closest design to your specification appears to me to be Paul
      Gartside's Itchen Ferry Cutter #101.
      http://www.gartsideboats.com/catsail2.php#itchen
      The estimated building time is close to two years of full time work.

      Gartside's Surprise II, #131 is only two feet longer than your
      specs, and consumes another 700 hours of building time by the
      designer's estimate.

      Jon Kolb