53301Car topping or not to.

  • Kristine Bennett
    Apr 2, 2007
      You know you start putting the boat on the top of the
      car and something slips, someone or something is going
      to get hurt. 150 lbs falling 5 feet can easy brake a
      leg or worst.

      That little VW will have no hassle pulling a light
      boat on a trailer. It will save your back and your
      lady loves back as well.

      Let's just say you get hurt loading the boat and brake
      a leg... You are out of work 8 to 12 weeks the loss
      income is way more then the cost of a small boat
      trailer BRAND NEW! By how many time????

      Also if you go to the trailer you can build a bit
      bigger boat and have more room for every one!

      Kids get tired and want someplace to curl up and
      sleep. Also they are going to keep growning so maybe
      build something that will still fit you all 4 or 5
      years down the road.

      With the trailer you don't have to manhandle the boat
      4 times just to enjoy it one afternoon or play.

      I have a 12 foot skiff and I have a trailer for it and
      a flatbed for the same trailer so it's useful for
      doing other things as well.

      It would be a shame to have your boat all done and
      then have it fall off the car and then someone be in a
      cast for 12 weeks.

      OK the down side you will have to learn to drive with
      a trailer. You will have to learn how to make the
      trailer go where you want it when backing. OK so you
      have to go to a larger parking lot and play with it
      for a few hours. Cardboard boxes make good dummys for
      doing that.

      Just my feelings on the matter.

      Blessings Krissie

      > 150 lbs. is *a lot* of boat to lift onto a car, even
      > a short VW, even one end at a time.

      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone tell me the weight and/or
      > displacement of
      > Bolger's "Surf"
      > > > design? Some other related questions: Is it
      > cartop-able? Would
      > you
      > > > recommend it as a calm river drift boat for a
      > family of four
      > (incl. two
      > > > kids - each weighing less than fifty pounds)?
      > Do I absolutely
      > have to
      > > > have the fore and aft compartments covered? Or
      > can I use them
      > for
      > > > sitting space? Any other pros and cons about
      > the design would be
      > > > helpful.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks much!
      > > > FB