53284Re: Modify a Windsprint?

  • GarthAB
    Apr 1, 2007
      Hi Chris --

      I built a Windsprint years ago as my very first boat. It goes together
      quickly, and you get a lot of boat for not that much work.

      I'm not sure about the freeboard part of your question -- but I would
      definitely recommend decking over the bow and stern areas and creating
      watertight storage compartments there, accessible by wooden hatches
      held down by bungee cords and sealed with weatherstripping -- or
      somehow adding significant amounts of flotation foam to the boat. When
      it goes over and fills with water, it takes a long time to bail it
      out. Thinking about making it self-rescue capable is a good exercise.
      It'll add complexity to a beautifully simple boat, but you'll be able
      to go more places with peace of mind.

      All best,
      Garth

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Wetherill"
      <wetherillc@...> wrote:

      > I am warming up to build a Windsprint this spring. I am considering
      > giving it about 2 extra inches of freeboard. Some of the pictures I
      > have seen look like the gunwale is perilously close to the water close
      > hauled. I would appreciate opinions of this idea and the possibility
      > of decking over the bow and stern.
      >
      > V/R
      > Chris

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic