52829Re: Bolger cruising catamaran

  • graeme19121984
    Feb 19 5:26 PM
      > It also appears in MAIB, Vol.9 (1991-1992) Issue 13. The
      > illustration is the same. The writeup consists of a single
      paragraph,
      > as was typical of the Bolger articles in that time period. Quoted
      > below:
      >
      > 31' Cruising Catamaran
      >
      > 31'0"x16'0"x1'6"...

      Thanks for this Bruce.

      This boat could be considered a tacking outrigger, a type gaining
      some interest lately. Even Wharram et al are designing toward
      cruising examples, they see it as kind of back to the future.

      OTOH the boat could be considered an extreme example of a Harry Proa
      type, in this case non-shunting. This Pacific type has the
      accommodation in the windward hull, and rig etc on the lee hull, and
      is gaining in standing amongst cruising proa fans.

      Was PCB, out of the box, and way off in front of the pack yet again
      back in 1991? Does his concept plan lead back to the future?

      I still, however, am unsure of the merits of "less jagged stability
      curve" for Cruising. The curve benefits claimed seem more
      intuitively obvious for Singlehander

      Graeme
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic