52808Re: Bolger cruising catamaran

  • graeme19121984
    Feb 18, 2007
      The small image shown at page
      http://uk.geocities.com/martinlloyd.uk@.../PCB_CRUISING_CA
      T.html

      is 265KB and if saved it can be much enlarged in a viewer. Is this
      image from the 1991, 179pp, hardcover edition, or from the Adlard
      Coles Nautical, 192pp, 2003 paperback edition of "Multihulls for
      Cruising and Racing" by Derek Harvey?

      I would like to see more detail, and some dimensions for this boat.
      I wonder if there is another study plan around?

      The "Cruising" concept (20+ x 14ft+ ?) seems quite similar to the
      Singlehander Catamaran #523 ( http://hallman.org/sbj/27/sbj27.gif ),
      20 x 7ft, in BWAOM. A bigger project in kind designed not only for
      bed, and breakfast, but also for lunch, dinner, and designed for
      easier construction?

      If I'm correct in estimating the Cruising staysail area at a bit
      over 200sqft, then I think I'd prefer the Singlehander 236sqft rig.
      The mast could possibly be stepped to take advantage of the Cruising
      centreboard case and eliminate staying.

      If Cruising is not particularly speedy, then perhaps a dipping
      lugsail with very easily lowered mast would be a good option?

      As regards speed PCB"s comment "But, if what you're after is all-
      around spirited behaviour that doesn't demand fierce concentration,
      and if you don't want to hire a motorboat to follow you and right
      the boat when you capsize, there's a lot to be said for making the
      hulls wide and bouyant..." is reminiscent of his thoughts on beamy,
      V-bottom, big rockered Cartoon 40 (
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger_study_plans_only/files/Cartoon%
      2040/ also http://hallman.org/SBJ/64/ ).

      Writing in 1994, some years after #523 appeared in BWAOM, at page 69
      in his book "Multihull Voyaging", the lamentably late Tom F Jones
      offers that PCB had just recently then told him that he was thinking
      of a cruising catamaran with rig on one side and accomodation on the
      other. TFJ reckoned at the very least it would need a different
      daggerboard for each tack. Does PCB's reasoning for the broad
      triangular centreboard also stretch to cover TFJ's point arrived at
      through much catamaran biplane rig experience? For Cruising
      Catamaran he's inferring there would be "terrific" lee helm on
      starboard tack, and equally "terrific" weather helm on port tack.
      TFJ's daggerboard suggestion would be somewhat like SA's "self
      correcting geometry" of windward hull centreboards in PCB&F's Proa
      60 concept study (
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/proa_file6/files/Bolger%206020proa/ )
      and some of his trimarans.

      On the other hand Cruising is of relatively modest overall beam,
      large rocker. And it would be hard to get a multihull mast further
      aft!

      Cruising would have good internal sightlines for so short a boat -
      mitigating against cabin fever - and has few windows. PCB may have
      considered this factor with TFJ's other design criteria for a haven
      from the ocean. TFJ said James Wharram needs to make portlights so
      small that a deliberate effort is required to look outside.

      Is speed the only reason to build a cat?

      Graeme

      > http://uk.geocities.com/martinlloyd.uk@.../PCB_CRUISING_CAT.html
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic