52266Re: Long Micro sail questions

  • lancasterdennis
    Jan 15, 2007
      Thought I'd chime in here well after the fact. I purchased my sails
      for my Oldshoe from Duckworks. Very fair prices and kindly folks to
      work with. I could have spent more than twice the price and got
      highly finished sails, but what I got were very functional sails with
      a full money back agreement if I'm unhappy with them and a reputation
      that no sails have been returned. I can't tell you how they work, as
      I'm still building my boat! I did a fair amount of research before
      choosing Duckworks. I guess price and customer service are what sold
      me. I have to keep reminding myself that I am not building a racing
      machine, my boat will not be perfect and really, all that I am after
      is a safe boat that I can relax and enjoy some easy lake sailing. I
      would most certainly recommend Duckworks.

      Fairwinds,

      Dennis
      (building an "Oldshoe" in Bellingham, WA)

      - In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <kingw@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have pondered the advice of those who replied to my questions
      > concerning sail lofts for my Long Micro. Thanks. I decided to
      > further my search for lofts beyond the local area. I wanted to
      find a
      > loft that had sewn sails for a sprit-boom rig before. I didn't have
      > to look far. My first stop was Gambell and Hunter, in Maine.
      > http://www.gambellandhunter.com/contact.htm
      > They are booked until July, which doesn't fit with my delusions
      that I
      > will be launching early this summer. I looked at Dabbler Sails in
      > Virginia.
      > http://www.dabblersails.com/
      > Stuart Hopkins (the owner) has sewn plenty of traditional sails,
      > answered all my questions, and can probably get to my sails in late
      > February or March. Perfect. He got my business, and his estimate
      was
      > the same as the other lofts.
      >
      > I'll keep everyone posted. Back to the epoxy and such.
      >
      > Bill, in Ohio
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@>
      wrote:

      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > > Hi Bruce(and Bill!),
      > >
      > > My folder with all the bills relating to the building of my
      > > Micro is in deep storage and would take a while to dig out.
      > > However,I had ordered my sails through Common Sense
      Designs,when
      > > Bernie Wolfard was at the helm and Brainbridge Sails(Brainbridge
      > > Island?) for some reason keeps popping up in my memory as the
      source
      > > of the sails.
      > > Perhaps the best would be to contact Bernie( I think he
      still
      > > may be a member of this group) for exact details.
      > > In the meantime,I'll try and find time to head over to the
      > > storage warehouse where my stuff is and try to extract the
      relavent
      > > file .......not an easy thing for a dis-organized clown like
      myself:-)

      > > Congrats on getting a marina berth Bruce,and so close to
      work!

      > > Sincerely,
      > >
      > > Peter Lenihan
      > >

      > > > Peter, can/would you name the loft you used?
      > > >
      > > > [Now, FINALLY, after three years on a wait list for a San
      Francisco
      > > > marina berth I got the call, and can finally move 'Rose' from
      her
      > > > trailer to a downtown berth walking distance from my office.]
      > > >
      > > > {Back to the shop now, epoxy and chine tape on Topaz Spyder.}

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic