51950Re: water ballast vs lead, iron, etc

  • Guy Vandegrift
    Dec 1, 2006
      Graeme,

      You are absolutly right in observing that the lifting of the boat
      begins as soon as the angle deviates from zero. Hence, the linear
      relation between torque and angle is never strictly true. I believe
      (hope) that this effect is sufficiently small in most boats. This
      needs to be checked, either numerically or experimentally.

      Regarding your second comment, we didn't add the fishing weights, but
      shifted them "leeward" from the "windward" side. There was no "wind"
      of course, and the actual force of the sails on the boat are
      complicated and dynamic. Though unable to model all complexities, I
      believe our experiment exactly matched what computer stability codes do.

      Enjoyed your commentary,

      Guy
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic