51110Re: How would Mr Bolger update Cynthia J?

  • graeme19121984
    Oct 11, 2006
      Gene,

      Here's a rough comparison of two "flat irons" as is. No account
      taken of where the c.o.g. in each boat actually is. 400lbs added for
      crew and stuff. Michalak's estimate used for total constructed boat
      weight of 35 lbs and 50 lbs per sheet respectively for 1/4 or 3/8
      ply. No rig weight included. Go stormin' in CJ? Easy mod?

      Cynthia J
      Displacement to LWL 130
      Hull Speed 5.01
      Sail Area to Displacement 27.48
      LWL to Beam 2.55
      Motion Comfort 8.96
      Capsize Ratio 2.37
      Sailing Category racer
      Pounds/Inch 275

      Storm Petrel

      Displacement to LWL 130
      Hull Speed 5.19
      Sail Area to Displacement 13.3
      LWL to Beam 2.9
      Motion Comfort 10.95
      Capsize Ratio 2.08
      Sailing Category cruiser/racer
      Pounds/Inch 277

      http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Gene T." <goldranger02-boats@...>
      wrote:

      > Graeme,
      > Doubling or trippling the bottom will only help righting on
      > a boat that is not flooded. Once the boat is filled, all that
      plywood
      > becomes flotation and will have the opposite effect. I think you
      need
      > some dense weight down there, lead, steel, at least epoxy filled
      with
      > something heavy. Then extra flotation to make sure you don't go
      right
      > to the bottom! 8^D
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > "A house ashore is but a boat, so poorly
      > built it will not float ---- "

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic