51020Re: How would Mr Bolger update Cynthia J?

  • graeme19121984
    Oct 8, 2006
      Hi Reed,

      is that your 15July95 MAIB "Capsised !" article? Good article
      mate. Did you know Jim Michalak now includes it in one of his
      catalogues?

      I've liked Cynthia J forever (and not just because from adolescence
      on I'll always have an elevated pulse at merely the mention of the
      name Cynthia, but that's another story :)). I assumed she'd float
      alright, but when I read in the article that a repeat Bolger
      prototypes builder, a guy in Bolger's books, Tony Groves, had that
      trouble self rescueing her I sat up and took notice. Presumably,
      Tony is a competent sailor, so that's not the trouble with righting
      the boat. He would have included the designed flotation foam,
      wouldn't he? So that's not the trouble either.

      I'm not sure, but I think in addition to the rig weight, it's the
      low, under-seat flotation that would tend to keep her rolling over.
      I think the foam block in the bow would float the bow end a bit, but
      would be almost neutral as to orientation. Then there's an awful lot
      of water to bail, a problem if it's warm; let alone icy.

      In addittion to extra watertightness, chambers and sandbags, maybe
      a little weight bolted to the lower bulkhead 3# frame member would
      help? A little weight to aid in self rescue, not self right.

      For self righting, how about a lifting Single Handed Schooner type
      keel at bulkhead #3? You could possibly go coastwise then. Put a
      bridgedeck across there to support it that's boxed in either side
      for, say, more cockpit coolers. ( Yeah.., the CJ rig could be
      dropped into Micro, but CJ has her own certain cuteness in styling
      that's not only in her perky rig.) If that seems too much space
      subtracted from the cockpit, CJ with her plumb sides would really
      suit the outside, ballasted, twin daggerboards from Centennial ll;
      if the loss of the pivoting leeboards positioning flexibility could
      be stood. Right there, at the high sided cockpit rail, that type of
      lightly ballasted daggerboard would be a cinch to raise or lower.
      The flare that causes some trouble in their use on Centennial ll is
      absent.

      Did Tony report his experience to PCB, as it seems both PCB and
      Bernie Wolfard were reluctant to include Cynthia J in the CSD
      catalogue?

      It would at first appear a quick and easy thing for PCB to improve
      the self rescuing of CJ before catalogue inclusion, but he didn't
      (note: self -rescuing, not -righting). CJ seems to be from an
      earlier period where PCB was happy to hop between dinkum sharpie
      designs arising from either his own flow theory, or Chapelleian
      aprioristic postulate. Perhaps a time came when he was no longer
      able to do so, and would not update such designs having firmly moved
      to a new sharpie paradigm. He updated Bolger Flow Theory conforming
      Otter #231 much later to Otter ll #375, but couldn't do so to
      Chapellian Cynthia J #289. If an exception proves the rule then he
      has a bob each way with the later Jesse Cooper #389; but even here
      he then could not update, and moved instead entirely to the new
      paradigm with AS29 #547.

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captreed48" <captreed@...> wrote:

      > As
      > > designed, I believe Cynthia J would, if capsized, float fairly
      high
      > on her
      > > side, supported by the cabin and the bouyancy of the mast and
      gaff.
      > > Righting her would require a swimmer to grab the stringers on
      the
      > bottom to
      > > pull her up or, more likely, a line to parbuckle the boat up.
      If
      > capsize is
      > > a major concern,
      >
      > Well....capsize is a major concern. A friend of mine capsized his
      > Cynthia J and could not get it upright. A helpful park ranger
      boat and
      > crew couldn't either but towed the boat submerged back to the
      launch
      > ramp. By that time my friend was very hypothermic.
      >

      > I think bouyancy tanks in each quarter or across the entire
      transom and
      > under the seats in addition to making the cabin watertight would
      vastly
      > improve the situation. In that case the heavier bottom would help
      > right her. (Not so if the boat isn't watertight..wood floats, but
      not
      > very high.)
      >
      > Let us know how it goes.
      >
      > Reed