      From: captreed48
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 12:22 AM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: How would Mr Bolger update Cynthia J?

      As
      > designed, I believe Cynthia J would, if capsized, float fairly high
      on her
      > side, supported by the cabin and the bouyancy of the mast and gaff.
      > Righting her would require a swimmer to grab the stringers on the
      bottom to
      > pull her up or, more likely, a line to parbuckle the boat up. If
      capsize is
      > a major concern,

      Well....capsize is a major concern. A friend of mine capsized his
      Cynthia J and could not get it upright. A helpful park ranger boat and
      crew couldn't either but towed the boat submerged back to the launch
      ramp. By that time my friend was very hypothermic.

      I think bouyancy tanks in each quarter or across the entire transom and
      under the seats in addition to making the cabin watertight would vastly
      improve the situation. In that case the heavier bottom would help
      right her. (Not so if the boat isn't watertight..wood floats, but not
      very high.)

      Let us know how it goes.

      Reed