50970Re: Paint system ideas

  • Bob Chamberland
    Oct 5, 2006
      I would recommend glass and epoxy from bottom to bootstripe at least.
      I have used VC 17 bottom paint. It lasts and is easy to touch up.If
      the boat is staying in the water it is best to use bottom paint. It is
      essential that all amine blush be removed scrupulously before any
      painting. I use Zinsser 123 latex primer above the waterline. I've
      used good housepaint, Brightside, or Interthane Plus at one time or
      another with good results. A caution, paint takes more time to fully
      cure than what one would expect. In the meantime it will scuff off
      easily. The best finish (if you like gloss) was the Interthane plus.
      House paint on the other hand is cheap, easy to repair or recoat and
      especially if you like a semi-gloss finish reasonably attractive. Behr
      is the brand I use. You can get porch enamel in any color Behr handles
      though I only used porch enamel on the cockpit "floor".
      Bob Chamberland

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "camalexander2002" <calex@...> wrote:

      > Nearing paint time on my Bantam - at least on the bottom and sides.
      > Spent too much time this summer sanding off and repainting my Skimmer,
      > after using Bin (shellac) primer and latex paint. Bin held to the
      > epoxy, but the latex let go of the primer. My Pirogue has lasted
      > twice as many years with no repaint necessary - also Bin primer/latex
      > paint. The thought of having to redo the Bantam every three or four
      > years sends shudders down my spine. I would rather spend a bunch on
      > the paint and only have to do it once a decade. The Bantam will
      > probably sit in the water for the season. I need recommendations for
      > a bottom and topsides paint system, including primer. What say ye?
      >
      > Tenative boat name "Wu Wei" - meaning "go with the flow", or
      > "intelligently doing nothing". It is an illusive concept better
      > explained on several Daoist sites. My Skimmer tender is "Vitus Brevis"
      > Life is short - so's my boat. I know, I know - too much time on my
      > hands.....

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic