50631Re: Italian Micro

  • graeme19121984
    Sep 2, 2006
      Marco, congratulations on launching your Micro, and on your English
      which is far better than my Italian. If Google translation of the
      website has served me properly then am I to understand that your
      Micro is in some way connected with your therapeutic educational
      psychology practice? If so I think Mr Bolger would be pleased, as he
      has made a few designs for youth oriented purposes, and seems to
      enjoy the task very much. Either way, I am sure that Micro can be
      therapeutic.

      The long, shallow, salient keel of Micro does not generate a lot of
      hydrodynamic lift. That lift is poor at low speed, and in comparison
      to a fin keel requires a higher speed to generate a certain amount
      of lift to windward. The centre of the lateral plane of the boat
      with the salient keel moves appreciably forward as speed increases.
      This means the distance between the rudder and the effective keel
      centres is increased thereby giving the rudder greater leverage
      ability to turn the boat. At least, that is my understanding.

      You should find that after trying different methods of handling
      the mainsail, mizzen, and rudder that you will be able to tack ("
      virare( to veer)"?) at low wind speeds, but sometimes the waves will
      also stop you. If you have SPACE then you may always reliably change
      tack by "wearing ship" ("strambare"?? --Bear off or turn away
      downwind, gybe (( let the wind astern pass from one side to the
      other)), then head up on the new tack).

      In very strong wind, under flat out motor power alone, I have found
      some difficulty also in turning through the eye of the wind. I think
      there is not enough lee way to generate lift, and cause the keel
      plane centre to move forward. There remains only a short lever arm
      between the propellor/rudder and the keel plane centre which cannot
      overcome the leveraged force of the wind on the high bow topsides.
      Lowering the mast should help, but I've not tried it. In tight
      situations it is sometimes best to take a deep breath, be brave, and
      at the highest speed possible to wear ship. Practice in a safe
      situation first. The Micro will turn; whereas it may be stopped in
      turning forwards through the wind, and before regaining steerage way
      may drift into trouble.

      Enjoy.

      Graeme

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Marco Vinicio Masoni <masoni@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear all
      > I 've been in silence for much time, not only to not oppress you
      with my
      > English (not even comparable to that of my friend Lord Pippo
      Bianco), but
      > also because I had devoted myself to the construction of the Micro.
      > This is the first Italian Micro , cronologically, I suppose.
      > I'm building the boat in the country, 30 km from my house, in a
      farm that
      > is also a big therapeutic community for addicts. Having worked for
      many
      > years in a juvenile jail as psychologist, They offered this space,
      so,
      > working, makes to bear any interest for the boats ( and the job)
      in the

      <marcoviniciomasoni@...> wrote:

      > Dear all, I am very happy to be the first builder of an Italian
      micro
      > (I know that my friend Pippo had begun one of it, but he then has
      > interrupted the job. By the way would I like send you a photo, but
      how
      > cai I send photo in the section "photos"?)
      > In a recent e-mail of this forum anybody has written that micro
      is an
      > excellent boat, easy and sure for learn to sail. True. I am 60
      years
      > old, I have very little experience of sail, but I have built my
      micro
      > and I am learning with him.
      > I have only a problem: when the wind is not strongly I am not
      able to
      > veer, I am forced to turn with the wind to the shoulders (you
      excuse
      > but I don't know the English term, in Italian is told "strambare"
      > vs " virare( to veer)".
      > The boat stays with the bow to the wind and slowly return on the
      edge
      > that I want to leave.
      > When the wind is strongly instead there is no problem.
      > Could anybody write the steps to follow for veer in a correct way
      with
      > a micro?
      > Thank you to all and you excuse my very bad English.(And the
      > ripetition of this message)
      > Marco Vinicio Masoni

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic