50194Re: fast motor sailer

  • rudolfvdbrug
    Jul 26, 2006
      > In your first post, you described the 'wish list' of wanting to
      > European canals. And, you also describe a need for high top
      > You might consider that 'two thin hulls' will not give the best
      > platform for comfortable cruising. In other words, choosing a
      > involves trade offs, and if you want a boat to 'do it all', it is
      > sometimes physically impossible to 'do it all well'. In short,
      > out what is important and then focus on the boat that fits those
      > well. If you want a cruiser, focus on that. If you want a racer,
      > focus on that. I don't think any boat both races and cruises that
      > well.
      > BTW, the canals of England are especially narrow, and Phil Bolger
      > a design (not yet built) designed specifically for those narrow
      > canals. Think long and narrow. And, incidentally, long and narrow
      > typically means 'fast'.
      > http://www.geocities.com/pvanderwaart/martyr1.jpg
      > http://www.geocities.com/pvanderwaart/martyr2.jpg
      A 12m long catamaran would easily do 10 knots if well designed.
      To make it a racer it would have to be 8m wide, very lightweight and
      carrie lots of sail. 20 knots would not be uncommon for a boat like
      Obviously for cruising the (French) canals it can't be too wide.
      4M wide would be ok. Cruising weight is estimated as 3-4 tonnes.

      The point is I am not convinced that a cat is the best solution.
      Hence my question about an easily driven hull 12m long.

      The writing accompanying the Hawkeye sketch suggests the boat
      accelerates without any planing hump thanks to the box keel.
      The box keel can be looked upon as a long thin hull carrying most of
      the boats weight the sponsons add stability and offer extra load
      carrying capability.
      Something like that 12m long?

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic