50006Re: Outboards for Micro

  • Greg Flemming
    Jul 7, 2006
      Sorry for not replying earlier but only just sighted this post. As
      far as I am aware Matilda Jean is built to plan and the long shaft
      motors do not clear the water when tilted up (if you can tilt them
      up provided the cowling over the motor is not too big, as is the
      case with the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha)

      If you look at the photo of Micro, Cricket in the files section of
      the Bolger Overflow Group 7 in a file called Australian Micros, you
      will see a great photo of Cricket which sports a Yamaha 5 hp motor,
      and the transom has been modified so that the motor can clear the
      top of the transom cut-out.

      The Micro of Peter de Boer in Holland also sports the same modifed
      transom (see article in Water Craft No 29 of Sept/Oct 2001) As do
      several others, of course)

      The point is that the motor will far enough into the water, even as
      a short shaft, so you do not need a long shaft on Micro, I think?

      Greg F

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mark Balogh <mark@...> wrote:

      > Greg and others who have answered,
      >
      > Thanks for the feedback
      > It seems like the long shaft would be good if one is pitching but
      you
      > seem to prefer the short. The measurements I have indicate that
      if you
      > can raise the engine completely it would clear the water. Could
      you
      > please elaborate on why you would prefer the short shaft 4hp?
      > Mark
      >
      > On Jul 5, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Greg Flemming wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Mark
      > >
      > > Generally we use the 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha that the boat came
      with, but
      > > it does not allow the motor to tilt up out of the water
      (standard
      > > opening). A long shaft British Seagull Silver Century will tilt
      up OK
      > > but the prop will still just skim the water. a 3.5 Tohatsu 2
      stroke
      > > fits OK but not so good when motoring into a good wind and
      against the
      > > tide! 4 HP Yamaha is generally ideal (if it fitted opening and
      was a
      > > short shaft!)
      > >
      > > Greg F Micro, Matilda Jean
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bsdbatwing" <mark@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello Micro sailors,
      > > > What size and brand of outboard do you use on your Micro?
      Does it