49956Re: [bolger] Re: Micro's seagoing ability

  • 9buck crowley
    Jul 1, 2006
      Thomas,
      I would watch the weather and plan carefully but I would not hesitate to
      take my Micro across the English Channel and I have made the crossing in a
      small boat.

      A Micro by the way has alot of storage space and it's easily accessed. As
      for the cabin it is much roomier than the Chebbacos'. If you do decide to
      build one stick to the design as Phil has drawn it. I have seen a micro on
      the internet built with a cockpit instead of a simple hatch. Don't do this.
      A "normal" cockpit would reduce available storage be more difficult to build
      and make access to the remaining sorage difficult. I really like the
      designed cockpit anyways. I often sail the boat standing up in the hatch or
      sit on the edge facing forward. If I feel the hatch cover needs to be on for
      safety the deck is very secure and comfortable and should the boat getted
      knocked down on its side ( it's never happned to me ) your better off with
      your feet up on the deck if you want to stay in the boat.
      I do have two complaints about the boat however. One is that mine doesn't
      point very high although it could be my sails and two even very small waves
      make for a noisy cabin while at anchor. Other than that I love my boat.
      One more note of caution. Don't build a boat with the idea that it is
      economical. In this country old boats are available for much less than you
      could ever build one of similar size That being said I would still encourage
      you to build your Micro if you have the time and patience to do so..

      Buck