49880Re: Long Dory Launched

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Jun 19, 2006
      Many thanks to Bruce, Chris, Gary, Peter, and Maximo for the kind
      remarks about my Long Dory. She is definitely a head-turner if do
      say so myself. In answer to some of the questions:

      1) We don't get much surf on the lakes out here, but certainly rough
      water and whitecaps are common. I'll post an update if I get caught
      out by one of the afternoon thunder boomers. These storms can be a
      couple of miles away and suddenly hammer the lake with wind. We were
      forced to retreat in the cat-schooner just last week by 30 knot winds
      that seemed to come out of nowhere. One of my requirements to PCB
      when asking about a rowboat was for something that could get us
      safely to shore when this happens - Long Dory was his answer.

      2) I would estimate her weight at between 110 and 140 pounds, but I
      don't have a good method to weigh boats, especially since my shop is
      not within 60 miles of any trailer scales. Perhaps something with a
      bathroom scale can be worked out. Bolger says on the plans that the
      prototype used oak for the solid wood parts and weighed 150 pounds.
      I used Phillipine mahogany, Honduras mahogany, and fir. Two men can
      carry her a short distance, but...

      3) I built a dolly to move her around, using some heavy duty
      pnuematic casters from the Harbor Freight store in town. Using ramps
      and a 16' utility trailer, I just wheeled her up on the bed and
      strapped the combination down. This method failed on dirt roads,
      however, because the caster tires didn't have enough air and created
      a bouncing effect that cast off the tiedown hooks. In the future,
      she'll go to the lake on cradles bolted to the bed of the utility
      trailer and launched with the dolly once there. It might be possible
      to cartop this boat if the racks were far enough apart and you had
      some help to get her on the roof.

      4) The boat is very tender when you first step in! Once seated,
      however, it felt stable, and would likely feel even more so with two
      aboard. Exactly what I've read about dories. The Michalak Robote
      felt much more stable on entry, BTW.

      5) Round oarlocks are what I've switched to, but I haven't yet had a
      chance to try them out. I suspect that practice, practice, practice,
      is the ultimate solution, but I'll feel better knowing I can't lose
      the locks.

      6) The length of the oars doesn't seem to be the problem, and since
      PCB is such an experienced oarsman, I'm not inclined to deviate from
      his specification of 7-footers. Incidentally, this boat has four oar
      locations, all with different beam distances, so finding the correct
      oar length is somewhat relative to begin with.

      Thanks again for the kind words,

      Jon Kolb