49876Re: Use The Tendering Process To Buy

  • Peter Lenihan
    Jun 18, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Waldo F. Odonahue" <waldofo@...>
      wrote:
      > "tender 2 verb [ trans. ] offer or present (something) formally :
      he tendered his resignation as leader. • offer (money) as
      payment : she tendered her fare. • [ intrans. ] make a formal
      written offer to carry out work, supply goods, or buy land, shares,
      or another asset for a stated fixed price : firms of interior
      decorators have been tendering for the work. • [ trans. ] make
      such an offer giving (a stated fixed price) : what price should we
      tender for a contract? noun an offer to carry out work, supply
      goods, or buy land, shares, or another asset at a stated fixed
      price. PHRASES put something out to tender seek offers to carry out
      work or supply goods at a stated fixed price."

      > Example, government procure goods and services by allowing
      suppliers to compete with each other by "bidding" on a material or
      service contract. It like an auction - where you ask retailers,
      wholesalers, manufacturers to bid [quote] against each other.

      > This is how retailers, manufacturers buy their supplies and
      services - if they want to stay in business. Anyone in the house
      building business will be out of business if they don't use a formal
      tendering process.

      > One example, I needed 30 windows for a house I was building. 7
      window manufactuers were contacted to see if they wanted to "bid"
      (quote) on my contract. I then sent out a quotation request form
      detailing size, style, number of windows etc.. The manufacturers
      must return firm quotations in designated number of days. Then the
      game begins. Each supplier is contacted - except the supplier with
      lowest price - given the lowest price. It's time to sharpen
      perncil! In my case the highest price supplier - reduced price by
      30% to become the lowest price... and so on.

      > By the way - "list price" or "retail price" are meaningless terms.
      When I first started out in renovations - I thought I was getting a
      good deal at a electrical wholesalers for house building (panels,
      cable etc.) by getting 15% off "list price". Later on I found out
      that others were getting 60% off list price! The only real price -
      is the quote obtained through a formal tender.

      > Go to Stapes and get a package of quotation forms. By a book to
      get details or check out various web sites:

      http://www.uregina.ca/presoff/vpadmin/policymanual/purchasing/4005.ht
      ml

      Hi Waldo,

      Thanks for the explaination. I only have one dealer nearby for
      the brand of outboard I am looking for. I checked out a few on the
      internet and found a dealership in Ontario that sold for less.Went
      to local dealer and asked if he could at least match their price.
      Short answer: no.
      Longer answer:No and we are already giving you a very good price and
      extended warranty.If this isn't good enough,then go buy it in
      Ontario.

      I suppose being a single consumer,looking for a single one time
      engine purchase doesn't give me much clout.On the other hand,were I
      an outfitter at some fishing camp looking to re-fresh the engines in
      my fleet of boats.....:-)

      Good luck with you quest!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,Windermere builder.........
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic