49818Re: Rudder Problems/Request design or help with Gypsy rudder

  • Tim Rohrer
    Jun 11, 2006
      If I understand your description, this is pretty much what I'm trying. I'm building straps to go
      around the cheek pieces and blocks and intend to screw them in even though they are tight.
      I'm considering running bolts through where I can.

      Thanks. Tim

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "William " <sdavis@...> wrote:

      > I had similar problems with the rudder on my gypsy having 2 failures.
      > to correct the problem I made the cheek piece from 1/2" ply wood verses
      > the plans 1/4" and put small through bolts through the cheek pieces
      > and blocks. I used 3/16" by 1" aluminum strap bent into an L bracket
      > about 4" long on both the rudder and transom with a 1/4" bronze rod
      > through the assembly with 1" on each end threaded with nylon locking
      > nuts on each end. since I made these changes, 2 years ago, I have not
      > had any trouble with it and I do love to sail her!

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic