49781Re: [bolger] Please post Bolger Topaz (and Spyder) links, photos, etc.

  • Kenneth Grome
    Jun 8, 2006
      Thanks for the update Bruce, the description of your mind puzzle challenge may come in handy for me if I build Topaz myself. I'm interested in the Topaz with the cabin, but you're building the "open boat" is this correct? Are the hulls basically the same on these two versions?

      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks

      On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:54:46 -0700, Bruce Hallman wrote:
      >> Bruce, how's your Topaz Spyder coming along?
      >
      > Real life intervenes, but I have been consistently getting in a half
      > or a whole hour of work each day. Most recently I have installed the
      > port side panel to the bottom panel, and am presently tape filleting
      > the pieces (bottom to side joint done, sides to bulkheads now)
      > together. I found the 'mind puzzle' challenging (and exciting) to
      > figure out how to manipulate a 32 foot long side panel, to match a 31
      > foot long bottom panel so that the joint seam match came within a 1/4"
      > or so, quite a challenging 3D problem which I had never encountered
      > with my prior experience building smaller boats. In short, per
      > design, the bottom of Topaz has roughly a 6 inch rocker in the bottom,
      > but on my shop floor the bottom panel rested more near to flat (with
      > some twisting). I took me a while to figure out that the problem was
      > with the bottom and not with the side bottom edge bottom edge
      > curvature. Ultimately, I discovered that if I fastened the aft 20% of
      > the joint (giving the bottom stiffness), then I could jack up the
      > stern which then put curve into the middle part of the bottom. I then
      > fastened the middle, and with the aft 2/3rds now having stiffness, I
      > could crank curvature into the forward 1/3rd of the hull. Also, some
      > may recall my gambit, where I used a single strongback versus a major
      > wide fab table to build the bottom. My risk seems to have paid off
      > because correction of the build in twist inaccuracies turns out to be
      > an easy task using shop and farm jacks.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic