49763RE: [bolger] Re: Gypsy won't track

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Jun 7, 2006
      "Gypsy is not weaving a little hear and there - it is fishtailing all
      over the place."

      This points me to the boat being trimmed "by the bow" If the bow is deeper
      than the stern, the boat will be directionally unstable and seek to yaw
      around and go stern first. When I was young I had a poorly designed dinghy
      that would not track because the stern was higher than the bow. It would
      only work if I rowed it backwards, sitting normally and pushing the oars
      rather than pulling them. Before you do any physical mods try rowing stern
      first and see if the boat can be controlled that way. If so, check out
      changing the weight distribution as recommended in a previous post.

      In his book Build the New Instant Boats, Harold Payson credits Gypsy as "an
      excellent rower that tracked well, even without a skeg"

      Bolger rules!!!
      - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
      (978) 282-1349
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic