49762Re: Gypsy won't track

  • Mike
    Jun 7, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gbship" <gbship@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I guess that I have a contrary view about this. In my
      experience,
      > > (Which is considerable; I have lost track of how many Bolger
      boats I
      > > have built, around ten): every time I have deviated from his
      design,
      > > trying to 'improve it', I have regretted the change, often for
      > > surprising reasons. This would be especially true for something
      as
      > > major as changing the lateral plane, or 'improving' the rowing
      > > capability. Remember that Phil Bolger had several decades of
      > > experience designing and using row boats when he designed Gypsy
      and it
      > > is safe to say that he knew what he was doing when he designed
      her the
      > > way he did.
      > >
      > Hear, hear! That little skeg does make a huge difference in the
      ability
      > to control a boat like Gypsy under oars -- it keeps the stern from
      > swinging all over the place. In BWAOM Bolger writes about one of
      his
      > powerboats with this general shape (but larger) and notes that it
      will
      > blow sideways in the slightest puff because of the lack of lateral
      > resistance (I think he equipped it with a smallc enterboard for
      that
      > reason). Jim Michalak has written that his small sailboats are
      designed

      Boaters:

      I appreciate your considerable experience and will try to put the
      centerboard down or rig the rudder amidships before I try to add a
      skeg. I have another boat, a little plywood pram, 9'6" and beamy.
      A slow sailer but it must really bite the water because it is
      heavy. It also has a semi-vee bottom and a skeg. I have taken that
      boat up and down the river in all kinds of current and wind
      conditions with no problems whatsoever. I remember the little
      kicker dying on me once. The DNR man asked me how I was going to
      get back to the dock with no motor. I said - no problem, all I need
      are the oars and this was in about a 10 knot current in early
      spring. He was concerned, I was not.

      I think after reading your comments, Gypsy is light for the lenght
      and has that flat bottom. I was in a flat bottom Coleman canoe once
      in Canada during a windy day and I was going sideways with no chance
      of making it back to my cabin. I guess it is the same thing.

      Gypsy is not weaving a little hear and there - it is fishtailing all
      over the place. Thanks for the suggestions.

      Mike
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic