49752Re: Gypsy won't track

  • Robert Miller
    Jun 7, 2006
      it seems to me that the solution IS a small skeg just forward of the rudder. This need not
      be of large area in that it is so far aft. I wouldn't worry too much about lee helm from a
      small increase in lateral plane aft - too many other factors here. In any case plenty of
      adjustments could overcome this even if it did occur (which it probably won't).... eg:
      rudder is obvious choice if this is left in place while rowing (though that alone would
      obviously give the correction in tracking ability you are looking for under oars without the
      addition of a skeg), increase mast rake aft ever so slightly, shift a bit of weight aft (things
      you might presently be stowing forward), etc. All of these would counter any lee helm...
      which again, I would not strongly expect.

      I actually believe a small skeg aft could improve Gypsy's utility overall.

      As to fastening to 1/4" ply .... after trials with skeg shape and area, epoxy and screw the
      skeg to the bottom from above, and then fashion small fillets at the junction of skeg and
      bottom on either side. They will improve water flow as well as add the additional strength
      that may be desirable.

      Robert

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "GarthAB" <garth@...> wrote:

      > I've had the same experience with my Gypsy. It spins as easily as a
      > doughdish on the water. Adding a permanent skeg might lead to lee helm
      > while sailing, if too much lateral resistance is concentrated aft. (I
      > guess you could then add some more LR somewhere else forward to
      > balance . . . )
      >
      > I had the idea (never acted upon) to fashion a "drop-in skeg," which
      > would fasten to the transom in place of the rudder using the same
      > attachment mechanism -- pintles & gudgeons, or the "Michalak slide,"
      > or whatever you have -- but firmly perpendicular to the transom.
      > Drawbacks would be:
      > 1) takes up space when not in use; and likewise, you'd have to bring
      > the rudder assembly aboard to row
      > 2) if you are dropping sail and rowing home because of high
      > winds/waves, the last thing you want to be doing is leaning over your
      > transom lining up holes. The Michalak slide is best in that regard,
      > but still, not fun to install in rough conditions.
      >
      > Come to think of it, #1 could be obviated by mounting the skeg
      > off-center. Leave the rudder assembly in, but kick it up and tie it
      > off. . . .
      >
      > Come to think of it, you could obviate #2 by making it an off-center,
      > "drop-in, kick-up skeg." Let it pivot in the vertical plane, but keep
      > it fixed in the horizontal . . . When the weather gets rough, haul up
      > the rudder and drop down the skeg. Damn . . . I better call the Patent
      > Office!
      >
      > Garth
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <skiffsalor2000@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I took my Gypsy out today for a couple of hours after work. The
      > > wind didn't cooperate but I had a few moments (never enough).
      > > Coming back to the dock I had to row it. I guess it is the river
      > > current or wind or both but that boat will not go in a straight
      > > line. I dug one oar in and then another trying to make it track.
      > >
      > > I have read other posts that say you need a skeg to make it track.
      > > I really don't see how a 4" - 5" skeg is going to keep this boat on
      > > line. It spins in a 360 if you let it. The only way to stop it -
      > > dig one oar in. Adding a skeg will mean putting a small false keel
      > > behind the last bulkhead. I don't think that will look too good but
      > > I know I can screw in a skeg to 1/4" plywood either.
      > >
      > > I remember reading Payson's book that one of his buddies rowed a
      > > Gypsy 100 miles in Maine. I wondered about that feat today when I
      > > was trying to make 1/2 mile or less back to the boat dock - what a
      > > struggle. Any ideas for an easy skeg for this boat will likely be
      > > used.
      > >
      > > Mike

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic