49740Re: Gypsy won't track

  • Mike
    Jun 6, 2006
      HJ:
      I was just afraid it would eventually tear it up because of the
      trailering and all the twisting around. In my other boat, it
      actually has a keel so I screwed the skeg right into it.

      Mike

      HJ Wrote:
      Why can't you screw a skeg on through 1/4 inch? I would take it
      down to
      > bare whatever and epoxy and screw it in from the inside.
      >
      > HJ
      >
      > Mike wrote:
      >
      > > I took my Gypsy out today for a couple of hours after work. The
      > > wind didn't cooperate but I had a few moments (never enough).
      > > Coming back to the dock I had to row it. I guess it is the
      river
      > > current or wind or both but that boat will not go in a straight
      > > line. I dug one oar in and then another trying to make it
      track.

      > > I have read other posts that say you need a skeg to make it
      track.
      > > I really don't see how a 4" - 5" skeg is going to keep this boat
      on
      > > line. It spins in a 360 if you let it. The only way to stop it -

      > > dig one oar in. Adding a skeg will mean putting a small false
      keel
      > > behind the last bulkhead. I don't think that will look too good
      but
      > > I know I can screw in a skeg to 1/4" plywood either.
      > >
      > > I remember reading Payson's book that one of his buddies rowed a
      > > Gypsy 100 miles in Maine. I wondered about that feat today when
      > > was trying to make 1/2 mile or less back to the boat dock - what
      > > struggle. Any ideas for an easy skeg for this boat will likely
      be
      > > used.
      > >
      > > Mike
      > >

      > > Bolger rules!!!
      > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
      flogging dead horses
      > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
      Fred' posts
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic