48528Re: Birdwatcher II

  • saillips
    Mar 4, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:
      > Ok -
      > It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
      > the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
      > key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
      > Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

      Hi David,
      When I receieved my BW2 plans,I found it very helpful to go through
      the key and refer to the plans sheets at the same time, several times
      over before doing anything. Since there is no "building sequence" per
      se, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what worked and what I'd do
      differently "next time".
      I laid out my side panels with butt blocks and installed all interior
      framing while flat on the floor. I then flipped the panels and
      preglassed using Garth Batista's technique(see Jim Michalak's web
      page, back issues) of rolling a plasitc film on top of the wet
      epoxy/glass.He used Mylar and got an almost mirror finish. I used
      sheet plastic and got a very smooth surface that reduced my fairing to
      almost nothing. If you're using top quality materials, like Bob Larkin
      is, you may want to skip the exterior glass on the topsides.I used ACX
      ply. These things worked well.
      I also pre-cut the motor cut-out on the starboard side while the
      panels were flat.Seemed like a good idea at the time. This resulted in
      an unfair bend in that area when the sides were sprung around the
      frames. It took some wrestling to correct, and I'd wait until the hull
      is together and perhaps the deck is on before cutting it out "next time".
      After the sides were on the frames I laminated the sheer clamps and
      chine logs. I cut my chine logs flush with the inner stem and stern
      posts, before I added the exterior stem and stern caps. Because of
      aesthetics and perhaps strength, I'd let the chine logs flow into the
      exterior pieces "next time", like Bob Larkin did.
      The plans are vague about the sheer clamp/window transition to the aft
      deck, but Bob seems to have figured it out quite nicely. I'm not that
      far yet.
      Finally, if I were to do it again I would take Bruce's advice and
      build a model first.........like Bob did!
      Bottom line, build like Bob Larkin. He's thoughtful and meticulous in
      building, and generous and kind with advice.
      My pics are in bolger4photos.
      Best wishes in your building adventure,
      David Lipsey
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic