48221Re: psychology of boatbuilding

  • Bryant Owen
    Feb 9, 2006
      I'm presuming you're talking about the head. I've stripped enough to
      say some things.

      1. type and quality of the material used for the screw i.e. bronze
      obviously strips easier than stainless. Also consider the metalurgical
      aspect of the screw - some are "softer" than others.

      2. size/shape of screw head opening vs size/shape of screwdriver head.

      3. material you're using the screw in e.g. screw into a knot that
      stops the screw from turning.

      4. how much "wheaties" you and your cordless are using.

      All things considered, when I've matched the right screw to the right
      job and used the right head, used pilots or some other pre-drilling
      and watched the feed and speed I've never stripped one.

      Bryant - who sometimes doesn't know his own strength.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I
      switched
      > to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
      >
      > - Bill
      >

      > _____

      Behalf Of
      > Nels
      > Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:28 AM
      > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [bolger] Re: psychology of boatbuilding
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
      > > learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
      > > screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
      > > are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
      > > Micro you are building.
      > >
      > With all due respect David, I think it is about time your daughter
      > learned "the facts of life". Put away those silly flat and phillips
      > screwdrivers and instead get her a set of "Robbies".
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver
      >
      > I believe they are called "square head" screws in the States and often
      > advertised through McFeely's. With a robbie you can drive a screw into
      > the ceiling, or at an angle, using one hand. Try that with those other
      > old fashioned kind:-) Also work perfectly when using a cordless drill.
      >
      > http://www.mcfeelys.com/
      >
      > Nels

      > horses
      Fax:
      > (978) 282-1349

      > Boating

      ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=mqcLF_9XV9o
      > nCtXqtJRwew> safety
      >
      > Boating

      oating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=dkYm-wjQG
      > 9dBpYDNsDoWYA> magazine
      >
      > Alaska

      ating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=68HKZqTBED
      > IAkNEbirtqBA> outdoors
      >

      > Great

      ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=n8nlIuy_1Jm

      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger> "