48210Re: psychology of boatbuilding

  • dnjost
    Feb 9, 2006
      My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
      learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
      screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
      are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
      Micro you are building.

      Our most recent project is the construction of a cruising sail for
      our 13' 6" Holt Enterprise! We ordered a kit from Sailrite, and have
      been having a ball putting it together. So far, we have learned:
      Patience, practice, sail shape, sewing machine maintenance, how to
      recover from mistakes, and the joy and essential nature of teamwork
      and cooperation. I really recommend working with Sailrite, they are
      a fantastic company.

      She is just as excited as I am about our upcoming order for
      Birdwather II plans. We know that we can build every single
      component of this boat. (well, maybe not the trailer, or motor. we
      will leave that to the experts).

      Happy building, include your kids.

      David Jost
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic