48061Re: micro or long micro

  • William King
    Jan 30, 2006
      Wayne,
      I am currently building a Long Micro, and as you can guess, I agree with
      Peter. You should build
      an LM. Larger, more comfortable, and faster sailing. May I suggest two
      things to keep in mind
      while you consider building?

      First, do not underestimate the amount of time and energy it takes to
      complete an LM. Dan Gonneau
      estimates it took him 800 hours. I'm currently at hour 500, and I should
      be done by hour 600, but
      I've also been building over 2 years (2 years and 4 mos., to be exact). I
      have kept very careful track of my time and my 500 hours include straight,
      hard working time, not thinking-time, errand-time, or
      sitting-in-the-moaning-chair time. I had initially hoped (quietly) that I
      would be done in about 14 or 15 months, but no more than 2 years. Life has
      a way of tossing all sorts of interesting new adventures in the way of our
      well-laid boat building plans. I'm not complaining. I enjoy working on my
      boat, and if it takes me 3 or 4 years, those will be enjoyable years
      too. I merely mention this because you state that you plans are for the
      near future.

      Second, the cost differences between an LM and Micro can be easily
      compensated for by using different materials. You can spend more money
      building a very nice Micro than you can building an "OK" LM. For example,
      if you want to save money on an LM, use 3/8 inch fir plywood and sheath
      only the bottom (up to the waterline) in fiberglass. Coat the rest of the
      boat in epoxy (or don't) and paint. Some people on this list (group?)
      swear by latex house paint, which is far cheaper than marine-type
      paint. The issue of CDX ply versus marine fir ply versus okume (sp?)
      versus MDO comes up at least two times per year here. Everyone has an
      opinion. Sail? You can save money by either stitching your own sail, or
      using polytarp (not really my first choice for coastal cruising mind you,
      but...). Every choice results in costs or savings.

      If you like, I can tabulate all the materials I have used in my LM thus
      far. I can total the costs too but your results may differ depending upon
      what materials you choose (and I have not purchased any of my rigging or
      sails). Let me know, and keep us posted on what you decide. Building an
      LM is a true joy and hopefully you decide to build.

      Bill, in Ohio.

      > I am intrested in building a Micro but cannot decide between a
      >Long Micro or a Micro. Can anyone tell me the extra materials or cost
      >needed to build the bigger boat. I am on a budget and the extra cost
      >of the larger boat will problly be a deal breaker. I am wanting this
      >boat for a trip I plan to make in the near future where i will spend a
      >year traveling the east coast so the larger the boat would be better
      >better.
      > Wayne
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic