46892Re: Trailerable Alaskan Motorsailor

  • Nels
    Nov 1 1:13 AM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> >
      Pretty neat Nels.But would you use a centerboard or leeboards for
      > lateral resistance?
      > Of coarse,I forgot,you are a true gentleman and would only ever sail
      > downwind anyway :-)........
      > Sincerely,
      > Peter Lenihan

      Hi Peter,

      It has a full length box keel and the design philosophy is that the
      prop will be turning most of the time to hold a course, just like the
      Alaskan Motorsailor and the Small Motorsailor described in the Folder
      of that name in Bolger4 files. (Discuses both the pros and cons of
      such a design.)

      The diesel launch actually draws 8" more than the two Motorsailing
      designs. If a person installed the electric system that was recently
      written up in WB, one could motorsail for up to about 6 hours or more,
      at close to six knots or more without the generator even being run.
      But likely a small diesel turning a large prop would be the way to go
      for serious distances.

      However none of this is meant to be serious, as the diesel cruiser is
      almost 40 feet long I believe. But then some of the "picnic launches"
      of the past were longer than that! It would make a great cold water
      picnic boat complete with a small fireplace :-)

      Nels (Who - not a gentleman by any means, would rather drift with the
      wind than fight it;-)
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic