46843Re: Trailerable Alaskan Motorsailor

  • Nels
    Oct 29, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:

      > Nels
      >
      > That is pretty much the change I thought of as soon as I saw the
      > original. I would get rid of the bow cockpit also, it would be
      good for
      > holding snow in the winter only, not much other use here. I guess
      > would give the junk rig a miss also as I don't think it would get
      used
      > either. Put a sail on the dinghy and get your sailing in that way.
      >
      > HJ

      I have always liked the contention that Bolger has about small
      motorsailors being very practical. A white polytarp sail and light
      tabernacled mast offset to port of the foward companionway would
      make it fun for daysailing rather than just motoring, which I find
      boring and sometimes noisy. I also like the bow seats although a
      tonneau cover might be useful if the going gets rough.

      This looks like such an easily driven hull, perhaps it would be a
      candidate for an electic (inboard) drive using the batteries as
      ballast and a small genset for recharging.

      http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/etekoutboard.html

      Of course it would no longer be a Bolger design would it?

      Nels
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic