  • sailormon@torchlake.com
    Oct 5, 1999
      "chuck leinweber" <duckwork-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=432
      > Chuck:
      >
      > Click here: http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/Topaz then click
      on
      > Topaz.gif to see the Topaz lines.
      >
      > I have always liked the Wharram cats too, but most multihull
      enthusiasts
      > turn their noses up at them.
      >
      > Chuck
      >
      > > Brad,
      > >
      > > I would love to see the basic lines of the topaz. Could you e-mail
      them
      > > me, or are they available to look at on the net?
      > >
      > > Also, I am a big fan of Wharram and would love to hear more about
      your
      > > experiences. I am currently thinking about a Tiki 30. I would
      love to
      > build
      > > it, but time constraints will probably force me to have it built.
      I have
      > > couple of bids out to Thialand and Africa. The Tiki 30 would be
      $30,000,
      > > built in Thailand, no price yet from Africa. Did you ever sail your
      > Wharram?
      > > What did you think?
      > >
      > > All the best,
      > > Chuck.
      > >Cuck, see above for the lines of the Topaz and thanks Chuck. Sounds
      redundant huh.
      As to the wharram, yes I sailed her off and on for 4-5 years. To say I
      loved the boat would be untrue. But then I pushed her to extremes. I
      was primarily a single hander with no crew and an idealist. For
      expample to remain a purest, I had no radio, lanterns for running
      lights and a silly 5hp english motor with a pull start. This never
      started when needed and then would power only going with the wind. To
      make matters worse, I made my own sails of canvas sail cloth and they
      were chinese junk. The masts were cut spruce trees which according to
      Wharram were ok. Not true, I was demasted twice. The last just after
      going under the mackinac bridge and nearly lost the boat on the rocks
      as large waves kept the little motor submerged. I did have a friend
      aboard whom I asked to bring a gabage bag to me. This works well to
      start silly little engines in. You just cover it and reach through and
      pull the string. Lesson, you can't come around with just a mizzen. On
      the other hand I learned the most from this boat. When I was
      delivering her for the last sail to another port, we took a pouning
      that kept all other boats off lake michigan. After all night of this
      and part of the day I took her into hog island on the lee side. This
      is almost an impossibility do to the rocks. Shallow draft has it's
      merits. The boat was fine, we the crew could take no more. Would she
      go to wind, no. But that was no fault of the boat, but the sails and
      the early design. She was then delivered down the Missippi river and
      made it all the way to Florida where I lost track of her. I have seen
      a few old ones like here when sailing down there and can't help
      wonder?????
      Would I recommend one of the Tiki's. I think so, as much of the early
      problems seem to be addressed. Lastly, stay with a proven rig, and get
      as large a motor as you are comfortable with, like a honda 25 min. I
      was blessed to have my boat survive my owning her and have many scary
      tales to pass along if interested. Good sailing, Brad
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic