44360Re: [bolger] Re: Commonsense Skiff

  • Gary Lepak
    Jul 4, 2005
      James,
      The boatbuilding foams like Airex, Corecell and Divinicell are more dense
      than styrofoam. 5 to 8 lbs per cubic ft. compared to 1.1 (white) to 2
      (pink or blue). The lighter the foam the thicker the skin needs to be to
      maintain the bond when struck. I've built two boats from blue foam, a tri
      that didn't last very long made of 1" thick foam with glass/epoxy skins,
      and a solid foam paddleboard I still have. The board has two layers of 6
      oz glass in epoxy resin on the bottom and a 3mm ply deck. The two layers of
      6 are about minimum I think, and it is still easily punctured or dented. It
      just doesn't matter much if it is, as it still floats, being solid foam. If
      you are always building boats with epoxy anyway, you fill the dings easily.
      The ply deck seems to take a lot of abuse without delaminating though, and
      could make a good boat with 1" foam inside 3mm ply with glass inside, but
      would probably weigh as much as 1/4" ply. I like using the blue foam though
      and still use it for things like outrigger floats or sponsons, i.e. solid
      foam objects with glass skin, rather than as a foam sandwich hull skin .
      Gary Lepak

      ----- Original Message ----- > I wonder if the cheapest available foam might
      not be "good enough" for
      > most small boats, provided it fills the void between the inner and
      > outer skins and does not separate from them. Does this leave out good
      > old fashioned styrofoam I wonder?
      >
      > James Greene
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic