44340Re: Commonsense Skiff

  • gbship
    Jul 3, 2005

      > That's what I was talking about when I mentioned penetration
      strength.
      > Sure a Gypsy isn't going to hit logs at 30 knots, but the scantlings
      > will already be redeuced in proportion to the speed. You can't let
      the
      > skins get too thin. 'Too thin' on foam is thinnner than 'too thin' on
      > ply. Avoiding that was where the extra weight came from.
      >
      > Chris

      Thanks everyone for the thought and advice. I should have explained
      better the use for this boat. It's for an expedition type competition
      of around 1,000 miles, give or take, for kayaks and small sailboats.
      Among the salient features, are you must beach launch your craft (You
      can use mechanical assistance, but you must carry whatever you use for
      the entire race), the ability to go under a 9-foot high bridge with 10-
      foot horizontal clearance, deal with open water and inland waterways
      churned by powerboat wakes, etc. This race is around the peninsula part
      of Florida, so at one point, competitors have to go up the St. Mary's
      river (in S. Georgia) and then portage their boats 40 MILES to the
      Suwanee. The kayakers balance their boats on a set of wheels, attach
      the bow to the back of their belt and walk it. They can also tow it
      with a folding bike -- as long as they carry the bike for the entire
      race. Obviously this won't work for sailboats, which even in a small
      size weigh much more. So those comeptitors are allowed to switch to a
      canoe for the necessary river portions and the portage. You can see the
      details at Watertribe.com, check the Ultra Florida Challenge section.
      We're only planning to do the shorter Everglades Challenge in 2006, in
      our Frolic2, but I'm intrigued with trying the longer race in 2007. My
      particular itch right now is to wonder if a small sailboat could be
      built light enough so that switching to the canoe would be unnecessary,
      even for the portage (which I would do with a bike!).

      But, alas, I know almost nothing of composite construction, which is
      why everyone's advice is so helpful and much appreciated. It does no
      good to have an ultralight hull if it's punctured by a razor sharp
      shell on an oyster bar, or a cypress knee or mangrove root in the
      Everglades, or by a rock or log in the Suwanee. The weight concern is
      why I've been mostly looking at ply instant-type boats in the 125 to
      150 pound range and wondering if that weight could be cut in half with
      composite construction. There are intriguing hints. For example, my 25-
      30 pound solid wood mast on the Rolic2 could be replaced by a carbon
      fiber spar that would weight less than 10 pounds. In Pete Goss' book
      about single handed racing around the world, he mentions that the bare
      hull of his 50 footer could be turned over by 6 husky guys --- about
      what the 1/2 inch ply/fiberglass bare hull weighs on our 30-footer
      (which is a Gypsy-type hull).

      BTW Graeme, thanks for the suggestion of the Zephyr, but I ruled that
      out because while it is an excellent daysailer and can handle some
      nasty weather, it doesn't row very well, possibly because the 16-inch
      sides are too high. (I had one for many years, and was very fond of it.)

      Gary Blankenship
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic