44277Re: [bolger] Pontoon Boats, HP, Fuel economy (was: Delaware concept--trawler yacht)

  • craig o'donnell
    Jun 30, 2005
      If you wind up doing a homebuilt pontoon, do not sacrifice bridgedeck
      height. The 'toons don't lift to waves like a conventional hull. Hit a big
      enough wave and it will sweep the deck. The higher the deck, the bigger the
      wave you can hit. Another thing about pontoons is that they are very
      sensitive to weight. Adding three adults and a full tank of gas cuts several
      miles per hour off our top speed. So build light and be realistic about how
      much furniture you put on board. Larger, more buoyant pontoons are better.
      Mine are 25" diameter and I wish they were 27". Even PCB found this out with
      BANTAM, so he wound up revising the plan adding 4" of depth to the hulls in
      the form of glassed over foam.

      What baffles me is that every aluminum pontoon boat drags its transoms.
      Well, I've seen *one* with conical ends on the stern. Since a pontoon will
      never plane, I don't get it.
      --
      Craig O'Donnell
      Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats