41365Re: Reply to query re: folding schooner news

  • pauldayau
    Jan 3, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, W & C White <omegacubed@d...> wrote:
      > Pauldayau:
      > I . The plans, tacked to a wall, were
      > wetted, and disintegrated. I bought another set from Dynamite.
      Lesson 1 photocopy your plans and work from a set you can doodle and
      spill coffee on
      > ) I have built a strongback,
      The folding schooner doesnt need a strong back ay all . I built 1
      hull at a timme glued and screwed itthen screwed on some pine planks
      to keep it in plumb until the bottoms went on. when i finally joined
      the hulls I was out by 1.5mm over the 31'. .
      and experimented with various
      > methods of shaving the bevels on the bulkheads and frames.
      I extended the lines on the plans in pencil, set my adjustable bevel
      and drew the bevels onto the bulkheads. I had a freestanding frame of
      heavy timber that I clamped the frames to and a few strokes of a hand
      plane did the job.
      > Have been intrigued with various concepts on this site as to best
      > method of fastening and gluing. Plan to experiment with the
      > staples-and-strapping-tape method someone posted a few months ago,
      > instead of the screw-every-three-inches called for by PB, since the
      > consensus is that fasteners aren't needed once the epoxy has dried.
      Bollocks to that ! screw ,screw, and screw.
      In this design the surface area of the glued joinnts is so small
      that the screws still hold it all together. When a joint cracks
      falling of a shitty power boat wake you will stop a crack at a screw.
      . I tried the no screw idea on a landyacht and had to go back and
      rebuild the hull. Our corregated dirt roads are enough to break pure
      epxoy joins.
      Last year my june bug fell off the trailer at 90kmph without
      damage . I blame the screws. I
      > am a nut for performance, and experience tells me that a light boat
      > goes faster than a heavy one, and fastest if it's good and stiff.
      > I'm also considering a pair of square-head sail like those on
      > windsurfers and Cup boats, for better performance AND the look of a
      > topsail schooner, the prettiest sail rig in my opinion.
      the sails as drawn will get top speed out of the hull at all wind
      speed.. dont waste money on fancy sails when you could spend it a
      good traileror good wine.. Our only race in the schooner was
      cancelled due to no wind. In reality this meant that the other boats
      were unable to get any speed in the winds available . we never
      stopped in the race. and cut our last lap short because the other
      boats had motored or been towed home. WE SAILED.
      Our 5 hp O/B will push the boat at the sme speed as a 9.9. and i
      suspect your fancy sails will too. fancy sails will simply give a
      sail perfomance beyond the hulls ability. The idea of a flat top sail
      on such a small mast is to let it fall away to lessen the impact of
      gusts. ie immitating a Gaff rig. They also prefer a flexible mast
      rather then the rigid beasties on a schooner.if you stick to the
      plans you wiil stay in front.
      cheers paul Day. Australian tight arse boat builder of the month
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic