41337Re: [bolger] Re: Birdwatcher II - others being built?

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Jan 1, 2005
      What does Bolger recommend using for the foam? I gave some thought to
      plywood/foam composite construction a few years ago when I tried building a
      Brick with composite sides (I made some errors and finally threw my hands up
      in disgust and scrapped it). For my use I figured insulation foam sheets
      would work fine, but for something more ambitious I wondered if they had
      enough strength. When stressed would the foam fail internally? Would
      repeated stresses cause cumulative damage until you just had foam dust
      between the sheets of plywood? Perhaps I was being overly pessimistic...

      On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:10:44 -0800, Bob L wrote:
      > This also assumes that the foam does not fail by being squished. I think
      > this may be a reasonable assumption. The foam is not resistant to a sharp
      > object, but if the load is distributed over a large area, as the walls
      tend
      > to do, it becomes difficult to compress.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/
      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
      <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic