40312Re: Chebacco sails

  • paulthober
    Nov 1, 2004
      I think the reason for the mizzen is to provide balance - at least
      that is what I found. It (the mizzen) provides little drive, but
      allowed me to trim the sails to where I didn't need to steer or even
      lash the tiller when sailing upwind - an admirable trait when
      singlehanding. Were I to suggest any changes to the rig it would be to
      increase the areas of both sails, particularly the main to give the
      boat a bit more umph in light airs as this would not increase the
      complexity of the rig - one would merely need to reef sooner.

      Paul Thober

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Paxton" <bill@p...> wrote:
      > Most of the catboats I've seen have one large mainsail. Sometimes
      > they might have a small jib. Why is the Chebacco designed with a
      > mizzen?
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic