38048Re: Suggestions for home-built tiller extension and universal joint?

  • cha62759@traverse.com
    Aug 3, 2004
      -For the extension use an appropriate length of wood the same cross
      section as your tiller end. For U joint use an appropriate size
      flexible tubing held in place with a number of turns of small stuff or
      hose clamps. You will want to tape the hose clamps, those ends cut.
      You will also want to inspect it often.
      Bob Chamberland

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Mouradian" <r_mouradian@y...> wrote:
      > I would like to add an extension to my wooden tiller and I am
      > wondering what other people have used for a connection. I have seen
      > some expensive carbon-fiber rods and universal joints, but I would
      > prefer to do something cheap.
      >
      > My first attempt was to just drill a hole through the tiller and
      > another "stick" then run a rope through both and put stopper knots on
      > both sides. That is cheap and easy and gives plenty of flex. It is
      > fine for tacking when the joint is at a sharp angle, but it seems a
      > little too loose when the tiller is pointed more or less forward.
      >
      > Any suggestions for a "better" solution?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Rob
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic