38025Re: seaworthy bolger ply designs.

  • pvanderwaart
    Aug 2, 2004
      > When you look at a design, what is it that you use as a gauge of
      > seaworthiness?

      There is, of course, no unanimity of opinon on this complex
      question. Just in the last week I've read of Phil Bolger and Tom
      MacNaughton saying that they thought the currently fashionable ideas
      of what makes a cruising boat to be inadequate. I suppose them mean
      boats of the Catalina/Hunter/Beneteau type, though neither was
      specific. And they have very different ideas about what makes a good
      boat. I've seen each of them dismiss features that the other likes.

      What I think in terms of is

      1) Is it going to keep the water out? General strength of
      construction, care with respect to hatches and vents.

      2) Is it going to stay right side up? Range of stability.

      3) Can it handle heavy weather? This means power to carry sail so
      that it can get upwind in all but the strongest storms.

      4) Does it take care of the crew? A deck you can get around on. A
      cockpit with protection. A safe interior. Can the crew get into
      position and muster the strength to handle the rig?

      A boat should be seaworthy in these terms for coastal cruising. If
      you want ocean crossing, you have to add a certain load carrying
      capacity for supplies.

      These are just the first-order terms. There are second-order terms
      of great importance such as a comfortable motion at sea. And
      equipment is very important. Storm sails, reefing gear, anchors, etc.

      Peter
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic